Wednesday, November 2, 2011

ベーカリー(bakery)、ネイビ(Navy),  These are loan words and I found them in a fashion magazine and a food magazine.

After learning Katakana, I looked up some of my favorite Japanese books and animations through internet and I was excited that I could read the titles of them. It can be the very first step towards the "read my favorite Japanese book in Japanese" project. It's such a long way to go but “The beginning is half the whole,” Pythagoras said. The below are some of my favorite Japanes books and animation.

         1.  海辺のカフカ Umibe no Kafuka (Kafuka on the Shore in English) written by Haruki Murakami


   2.  ノルウェイの森 Noruwei no Mori ( Norwegian Wood in English), also written by Haruki Murakami
 3. 赤毛のアン Akage no An, literally “Red-haired Anne” This is an animated TV series adopted from the
novel Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Montgomery. I saw this animation when I was 8 years old but I still remeber its title song.

3 comments:

  1. Why do you think the authors of the three books used katakana in their title? Other than loan words, what other ways is katakana used for? How does the textbooks explain katakana and are there any examples that cannot be categorized into how the textbook explains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jisooさん、こんにちは!

    I like these books too! If you become able to read them in Japanese, that's superb:D

    Actually, in this project, you are supposed to analyze the use of katakana in various situations and try to think of reasonable explanations as to why the user utilizes Katakana to express that particular word.

    Why do you think the term 'ベーカリー’ is used at where and by whom instead of 'パン屋’ (panya), which is another word for bakery in Japanese?

    Also, why do you think those fashion and food magazines use a lot of Katakana words with what purpose?

    If you find it difficult to analyze your words any deeper, try to find examples that you can do more research and go beyond the explanations given in the textbook:)

    Good luck!
    TA Miyamoto

    ReplyDelete
  3. aki121787さんとMamikoさん、有賀と鋼材ましだ。Thank you for your comments, I've posted my theory (?) a your comments, I've posted my theory (?) on use of かたかな in Japanese. Thanks, agian for your thought-provoking comments.

    ReplyDelete